Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Kufferath Obi

I received what I consider a very great honor recently, one that greatly humbled me. I had received an email that morning from Leslee Kufferath, daughter of the late Professor Sig Kufferath, one of my favorite people and a great, great martial artist. Leslee asked if I would be at my dojo that night. I said I would. She stopped by and, to my surprise, presented me with The Kufferath Obi, a specially embroidered black belt and a beautiful certificate. I was apparently the 7th to receive this very special award. I want to thank Leslee for this great honor.
Her father, Professor Kufferath, was a very special man. He had been a personal student of legendary Hawaiian jujitsu master, Professor Henry Okazaki. One of Professor Kufferath’s dojomates was Professor Wally Jay, who we recently lost. Professor Kufferath was one of the first to receive our USNKA Living Martial Arts Treasure Award recipients. He was a kind, gentle, very down to earth man who had the warmest, most wonderful smile. I always enjoyed the time I was gifted to spend with him.
I’ve mentioned this before but it is one of my favorite stories and when you get to my age, you will likely see the great insight within it. At 68, it always puts things into perspective for me.
Professor Kufferath paid a visit to his native Hawaii to spend time with some surviving friends. He was in his mid-80s at the time. He and an old buddy were walking the famous and very popular Waikiki Beach, where many beautiful young women lounged in the sun in their bikinis. Professor Kufferath looked at his buddy and said “What I wouldn’t give to be 70 again.” Every time I start feeling old, I smile when I remember that story and feel fortunate to have what I do. It reminds me to treasure every single day.
A couple of months ago, Leslee hosted the Professor Sig Kufferath 2011 International Martial Arts Symposium in honor of what would have been her father’s 100th birthday. Martial artists came from all around the world to honor this great man. I was fortunate to be included among those who taught workshops. If she ever does it again, be sure to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment