Saturday, June 18, 2011

How to catch an arrow

I’d like to record for posterity my answer to the question I’m most asked – “How’d you get started catching arrows?”


It was something I did first in the mid-60s. In the 70s, others heard of it and I was featured on the major TV networks, in magazine articles, and in personal appearances. I was praised on several occasions and viciously attacked once in the national press for something I never said, did, or claimed. An arrow went through my hand. And one almost took my eye.

Let me begin by making two important points: First, it is extremely dangerous to attempt to catch an arrow at any speed. Most eye losses are reportedly due to low speed, blunt force impact. This means any arrow shot at you, or even thrown, holds the potential to cost you your sight! Don’t try it. I was extremely lucky not to lose an eye and I was generally very careful.

Second, almost anyone can catch an arrow. If I held an arrow in my hand and tossed it at you, most of you could easily catch it. But if I shot it at you from a high powered hunting bow at relatively close range, no one (not even I during my prime) could catch one. The question is not if you can catch an arrow or not but, rather, at what distance and speed. The critical issue is its elapsed time (ET) – the amount of time it takes to get from the bow to your hand. The shorter the ET, the harder it is to catch.

If you do a Google search, you will find a number of people claiming to catch arrows. And there’s nothing wrong with that. As I said, anyone can do it.

A number of arrow catching clips are posted on YouTube. (None of these are mine as I’ve not posted any.) Some of these clips document something challenging. However, most do not. In some, the arrows are clearly traveling very slowly or from a long distance, which gives the catcher a great deal of time in which to react. But it’s sometimes hard to tell distance and speed in some of these, which are the two critical factors. How can you tell? Well, a telltale sign of low speed and/or extreme distance is the angle of the arrow at the catch point. If the arrow is angled downward, towards the floor, it was traveling very slowly when caught, making the demonstration meaningless.

I would like to point out another couple of important facts that generally get missed: First, catching arrows doesn’t indicate possession of any mystical or supernatural powers. And, second, arrow catching per se has nothing whatsoever to do with being a competent martial artist. It can demonstrate superior speed and reflexes but says absolutely nothing about the catcher’s ability to efficiently and effectively defend himself against an actual attacker.

In coming posts, I’ll be discussing what caused me to first try it, what enabled me to catch arrows, specifics about the task, and some of my more interesting experiences. Thanks again for reading.

6 comments:

  1. As always, you are right on with your comments about catching vs. martial ability. I remember those comments in the dojo and how you made the same statements about breaking boards. Both require a certain skill set that can be related to martial ability but not necessarily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started training with Jim in the early 70's (two story building on Stevens Creek). He was ALWAYS doing something different to test himself and grow as the great martial artist he is. Arrow catching got a lot of publicity, but it was just something else he was doing to improve himself. We'd take turns opening the gym on Saturday's and he would surprise us with four or five people waiting in surprise to attack us. We had Kung Fu, Kick-boxing, Kemp and Aikido classes come train and spare with us. When the dojo moved to Blaney & Bollinger, the studio began removing a wall with punches and kicks. Mather was doing MMA before people knew what the term was. And, I am so thankful the night I showed up at the dojo when he started his “arrow catching” and I was asked if I wanted to try and not instructed “your turn Bob”. I have to admit, having been raised around guns all my life, letting someone shot an arrow at you seemed a little crazy and was glad to have the opportunity to just watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were fun times, Bob. Had some great students back then too. Not a lot of them but they were all dedicated and trained hard. Time sure flies by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An1WHz1HPXk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I trained with Jim and his crew at his Foster City dojo around 1978 - 1981. I was a Golden Gloves trained boxer and disciplined in Kempo and was searching for a place that specialized in "kickboxing". Jim's dojo was advertised as taekwondo, but Friday nights he allowed his best students to host an "unofficial" full-contact kickboxing class. Only the very best fighters would partake (almost all blackbelts, or equivalent skills set) and it was legendary (at least at that dojo it was); regulars would aspire to someday be ready to eventually join the group on Friday nights (some only for one appearance). You remember this Jim? Great competition, great friends, great experience! One thing that I'll never forget is when Jim called me up during a regular class and presented me with a black tape band on my brown belt to signify that I was an equal to his blackbelts, even though I hadn't earned my blackbelt yet. Thanks again Jim, it was obviously a huge honor for me. Jim, I hope that you are well and thanks for the memories, my Sensei.

    ReplyDelete