Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Kenny Kuch

I was interviewed recently by a martial arts magazine. They asked me to supply a bunch of photos for the article. While searching through my boxes for shots I hadn’t posted before, I came across a team shot, taken at some long forgotten tournament. Fighting on our team was Ken Kuch, who everyone called Kenny.
Kenny Kuch (left) and Tom Sadowski, one of my first black belts.

Kenny Kuch was not one of my students. He was one of Sensei Ron McCausland’s, his top black belt, in fact. He and Ron ended up having several things in common. Kenny had had a very challenging fight at the same nightclub where Ron had worked as a bouncer, which I talked about in one of my previous posts. And, like his sensei, Kenny died far too early.
I first met Kenny when he was a colored belt and living in Sacramento, where Ron had his dojo. He was one of those people who put everything he had into everything he did. He was a tough fighter, even back then. You could see immediately he would become a great martial artist if he stuck with it. And he did.
Size wasn’t one of the things he had in common with Ron. Kenny wasn’t very big when I first met him. He was relatively short and almost skinny. To better prepare himself for the street, he asked Ron if he could get him a bouncer job at the same nightclub where Ron worked. They were glad to have him. Almost everyone who met Kenny, liked him immediately. He had a big, infectious smile and an easy, playful manner that always cheered everyone up.
One night he had to deal with an especially rowdy club customer. The man refused to leave. It escalated into a fight, which ended with a roundhouse kick to the customer’s head. The man went down. As Kenny was keeping an eye on him, to see if he planned to continue, Ron yelled “Look out!”
Kenny turned his head just in time to see a knife slashing straight for his throat. He leaned back, away from the blade. Instead of his throat, the knife sliced across his deltoid muscle on his upper arm and cut clear across his chest, clear to the bone. The slasher scrambled through the crowd and outside, where he got away.
When the police interviewed Kenny soon after the incident, they asked for a description of the slasher. Kenny told them he had no idea as it had all happened so fast.
Kenny spent a good deal of time in the hospital. The damage done by the cut took hundreds of stitches and a couple of surgeries to repair. It took months, maybe an entire year, for him to heal.
The next time I saw him, he had a huge scar across his arm and chest. But he had been doing a lot of weight work and stepped up his karate training. And, as a result, he had bulked up tremendously. When I asked him about his increase in size and more intense training regiment, he just said he didn’t intend for anything like the slashing to ever happen to him again.
Ron soon moved to LA in order to train again with Soke Kubota and Kenny followed him down. He trained in LA for many years before his untimely death last year.
The following is not based on anything Kenny ever told me directly or I know for fact. It is based only on what I heard from others who knew him better than I did. And knowing Kenny as I did, it wouldn’t surprise me if it were true.
According to the story, Kenny had actually gotten a good look at the slasher or had seen him before and recognized him. He had told the police he couldn’t describe him because he didn’t want the guy in prison. He wanted him on the street, where he could serve justice to him himself. Friends said he had intentionally bulked up in order to be able to better punish the man when he tracked him down. As I said, I don’t know if this part of the story is true or false or, if true, if the guy ever got what he deserved. But part of me hopes so.
Kenny Kuch was a great guy and great martial artist who left us far too early. He was a bright spot in a sometimes very dark world.
I'll be getting back soon to our discussion on Instructing Children in the Martial Arts. Thanks for reading. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,

    Been reading your site about Kenny Kuch and found the article below. Thought it might be of interest (if you haven't seen it already).

    During the 70's I met Kenny at the IKA Hollywood dojo before the move to Glendale. He was a very tough fierce fighter! If memory serves me, he was bar tending and/or bouncing then. I think at some point he shaved his head and was getting "bigger" lifting. He really had a good heart..who left too soon.

    Thanks for all of your stories.

    Happy New Year,

    Logan


    "Kenny Kuch was a true warrior...small in stature and giant of heart...a loving, caring heart capable of taking down the biggest foe. Soke Kubota, who was out of state at the time, sent his deepest sympathies through Shihan Val. Shihan Val, who has been said to be one of the greatest karate fighters of all time, gave Kenny Kuch one of the highest compliments when he said that he had told Kenny, "If I ever need someone to watch my back, I hope it is you, Kenny Kuch." I will miss him. "
    http://www.familykaratewa.com/bob_hayford.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and your insights into my old friend, Kenny Kuch. He was a great guy who would always brighten a room merely by walking into it. As you said, he died far too young. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was Kenny girlfriend in the 70's. We lived together for 8 years. I just looked him up and am shocked to hear he passed. We had great times. Once we went to Tijuana with some of the the dojo guys and a hitchhiker kicked our car. Kenny got out and punched the guy, cut his hand and George cleaned it out with Jack Daniels. Kenny taught me a lot. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your experiences with Kenny. Sorry you had to learn of it here. Knowing George as I did, wouldn't be surprised if more went down his pipes than on Kenny's knuckles. Mouth cut knuckles almost always get infected. So probably a good idea. Thanks again. He was a great, very knowledgable guy and fun person to be with. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jim. Hank Hamilton shared with me how Kenny passed. Do you know if he was ill?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Tell Hank hello for me, if you see him again. I haven't seen him in years. I also didn't see Kenny for a few years before he died. I don't know if he was suffering from any illness but heard he was very down about something. Sometimes life can get very dark and seem hopeless. I never judge anyone in this regard. They alone know what they are experiencing and the relative worth of one course versus the other. Emmy Lou Harris has a line in one of her songs, Red Dirt Girl, that said "One thing they don't tell you about the blues when you got them/You keep on falling cause there ain't no bottom, there ain't no end." Poet George Sterling said "I can peer into the darkness far deeper than most and see but darkness still." Hopefully, he's at peace now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I trained with Sensei Kenny Kuch from about 1993 up until his death. I wrote about his passing on my blog here:

    http://www.pierini-fitness.blogspot.com/2010/03/in-dojo-heaven.html

    I also trained with Ron McCausland in his early days in Sacramento when his dojo was at the Sacramento Judo Club on Jackson Road.

    Mr. Mather, we have met before and, as a teenager, I visited your Cupertino dojo and actually trained there one night. I'm sure you don't remember that but I do and enjoyed your hospitality.

    I also remember Tom Sadowski when he trained in Sacramento.

    All of us who trained with Sensei Kenny Kuch in El Dorado Hills miss him very much and are grateful of the time we spent with him in the final year of his life. May be rest in eternal peace.

    Ed Pierini

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for the slow reply. It's been a hectic few weeks. I enjoyed your blog on Kenny. And thanks for taking the time to post here. Please say hello to everyone in the Sacramento area. I have fond memories of our workouts together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim, Here's another memory of Sensei Kenny Kuch:

    http://pierini-fitness.blogspot.com/2014/02/sensei-kenny-kuch.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi everyone, how are you doing? I wanted to ask to you if you know something about Master Steve Fox who was Kenny Kuch instructor. Take care. Tony

    ReplyDelete