Saturday, April 16, 2011

Should you follow a martial life?

I haven't forgotten my series on Bunkai, Kyusho, and the Death Touch. I'm working on the next installment. But it requires some neurological explanations and I wasn't happy with how I had explained it. It was too confusing. While I rewrite it, here's my thoughts on the value of following a martial life.

Many, many years ago, I came to a crossroads in my life. For the first 24 years of its operation, my dojo lost money. I had to pay the rent out of my own pocket, which eventually forced me to consider the intelligence of continuing. I was, afterall, paying to have people study with me. Not much of a complement. In fact, it was a very a discouraging situation and extremely difficult to justify, especially to my wife.

I ran over a long list of pros and cons. In the end, the pros thankfully won out. I thought it would be good to put myself into a situation where I had to continue to train and learn new materials throughout my life in order to stay ahead of my students and keep myself in top shape. It would also commit me to living my life carefully so as to always be a proper role model for my students. I also hoped to be able to continue to serve a useful purpose and enjoy greater self-sufficiency in my old age, in a country where old is bad and new is good, where our seniors are considered a useless burden.

I am now 68 and things have worked out exactly as I had hoped. I would highly recommend everyone follow a similar path.

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy you saw through the hard financial times, and stuck with it. I myself have been struggling with my goal of becoming a Sensei, and living the martial way.

    I've seen that being a karate instructor (in my location at least) doesn't pay very well. In fact, I'd be happy if it paid the rent on the Sonora Dojo when that opens some day.

    I however haven't had to think twice about my desire to help others while teaching Karate. I've personally seen the impact that it has on one's life if they allow it to do so. (Especially in seeing it in myself.)

    I've come to the realization that I may always work an extra job in order to help others through the instruction of Karate. There may be a time when I make enough to live off of the tuition brought in by students, but I look at such situations as an added blessing instead of something to count.

    Thankfully, I am not married, so I don't have to worry about attempting to raise a family on income brought in via instruction, but I do eventually hope to have a family some day.

    God has been very good in helping me keep employment that allows me to continue my study, and to pursue my dreams in having others study with me.

    So in short, like you (at least this is what I gather) it's not about the money. It's about the chance to help others find their way in life, and live healthier lives while doing so.

    Although, I am still an "Sensei in training", and have a very long way to go, I know that I have very good role models to look up to and learn from, such as Renshi Johnson, Hanshi Mathers (You), and many others in CKA and IKA.

    I just thought you'd like to read that someone else out there (one of your students) feels the same way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear brother jim sensei; this is, i am proud to say, the path that i have chosen and has been my dream and goal since the age of 15. i am 48 now and have never looked back as a professional martial arts instructor. i do not live a luxuorious life but i live a passionate life solely for the art, keeping me healthy in mind, body and spirit. i used to also be a corperate business man which nearly caused the death of me due to uncontrolled stress factors within the workplace however, the art has made me survive many tragedies in my life including quad driple heartbypasses, traumatic divorce, death of my second son and many other horrible things that i still even encounter today. i owe it and my entire life to the art and i just thank you for allowing me to be able to share this with you on your amazing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, thanks for your comments. I am confident you will get there and will one day take over for us.

    Eksteen Soke, thanks for your continuing contributions and great insights. For me too, karatedo has long been a refuge from the negative things in life. I've been fortunate in that the number and seriousness of the negative things I've had to endure so far have been merely the normal challenges in life. You've had to endure far, far worse. But I've always hoped that when worse things surely come my way, karate and its gift of "do" will help me deal with it as you have. Be well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete