Monday, April 18, 2011

For those struggling to keep your schools open

I’ve received several pm’s and emails about my statement that my dojo had lost money for the first 24 years of its operation. I want to clear things up. I realized around that same time that that couldn’t continue. I had always focused on being fair to my students, often leaning over far backwards to achieve this. (One student even said I was the only person he knew who he had to chase down to pay. I was embarrassed to take money for teaching.) But I had failed to be fair to my family and to myself. The pressure of trying to keep the doors open was taking a toll on my health and my marriage. So I decided changes had to be made and I took a more professional approach. And by “professional”, I don’t mean “commercial”.

What is the difference? Well, a doctor is a professional man. Most love medicine and love their patients but must do things right from a western business standpoint in order to continue to offer their services. If they could make more money doing something else, most would still choose to be doctors as it’s not about money. Many today run commercial schools. By that I mean they are largely financial operations. If many of them could make more money doing something else, they would close their schools in an instant and follow it – and some have.

A professional martial arts instructor makes money so he can teach the martial arts. A commercial martial arts instructor teaches the martial arts so he can make money. Big difference in my mind.

After restructuring my dojo on a more professional model (which was no easy feat), it has paid its way ever since as well as allowed me to meet my personal expenses, enabling me to focus solely on the martial arts.

At some point in the near future, I will discuss how I was able to achieve this in hopes of better enabling those of you who love teaching the martial arts but are struggling to keep your schools open.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you Master Mather. I also make enough to teach. Barely enough a month to pay for my gas. I do have students, some who pay some who can't afford to. Grandmaster was taught me, its not about the money but helping others by teaching them the truth. His students have always stuck with him. The Dojo is not a money maker but barely makes money, I love teaching and have a passion for the martial arts. I had to limit the days of teaching so I could spend time with my family. I look forward to reading the rest of this article.

    Master Dave Chance
    7th Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that with us. Sounds like your students are very fortunate to have you. Even when I realized it helped neither me nor my students if I went under and got more professional, I took the position (and continue to take it) that no one who needs what I have to offer will be denied it due to a lack of money. There used to be an old saying in the martial arts (not sure of the origin nor have I heard it in many years) that "Those who can, help pay for those who can't".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say that the first real martial arts business information I ever read was Mr. Mather's business manual. His materials set me on the path to running a successful studio. I thank God he made the decision to become a successful business person as well as a great teacher, and that he was generous enough to pass that knowledge on. Thank you, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, my friend, for your kind words. I greatly appreciate them. I feel we are all on this journey together. Whatever little I can contribute to help others get further down the way, to help spread our life-changing arts to all who need them, and to better protect them for future generations, I am happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SPOILER ALERT! SHAMELESS PLUG!

    Master Mather continued to help not only his students and himself by keeping the doors open but in the process created International Martial Arts Management Systems (IMAMS) to teach other school owners how to do the same.

    I started out as a student with my twin sons, became a school director under Hanshi, then Senior Director of his then 6 schools and now am President of IMAMS.

    Without Hanshi's kindness and willingness to teach not only karate but the business of karate I, and many others, would not be here today. A gift for which I will always be thankful.

    If you wish to see what we have to offer as part of Hanshi's legacy visit www.imams.com

    ReplyDelete