Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Chotoku Kyan's Bo

Hanshi Dan Smith just returned from Okinawa, where he's working with his instructor, Hanshi Zempo Shimabukuro, on a new book. While there, he witnessed the presentation of legendary karate grandmaster Chotoku Kyan's personal bo to Zempo Sensei by the Kyan Family. Hanshi Smith wrote a nice piece on the presentation on his Seibukan Blog. It has a great video clip on the bo and Hanshi Shimabukuro describing how it was constructed, facts about size and shape of old bows, and demonstrates its use. http://www.seibukan.us/Blog/EntryId/18/April-Visit-to-Okinawa-Kyans-Bo.aspx

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting... I wonder if I can find a palm tree bo? I'd love to have one to hand down generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine if he lived where you live he'd have made it of pine or oak. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to see such a relic of martial art history..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not touched the Kyan bo. But when I've had the opportunity to touch or hold similar items in the past, it's always felt like I could feel the hands of the user and connected directly with the past. It's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete