Saturday, May 14, 2011

Just Kick Him In The Groin – Part IV

Ron McCausland was a great karateka and friend. When we met, he was also with Soke Kubota’s International Karate Association (IKA). I think he started under another instructor and organization but switched over to Soke and the IKA in the 70s.
Sensei Ron McCausland
Ron ran an IKA affiliated dojo in Sacramento, California, for several years before moving back to LA, where he worked as a carpenter building movie sets for one of the major studios. He died very young, far too young, in his early 40s, I think.
Ron was a big guy and had a strong mindset and a sharp fighting eye. Soke Kubota developed some unique ashi and tai sabaki (foot and body shifting), at which Ron was very proficient, allowing even someone his size to move with great speed and agility.
He was a man of few words. But when he spoke, he was never one to mince words or sugar-coat anything, especially related to karate. Some guy came into his dojo once. He was a black belt in some other style and had moved into the area and was looking for a place to train. Now, all instructors have had guys like this come into their dojos. He had an attitude and kept saying “In our style we did it like this…” From what he was saying, Ron quickly determined the guy came from a style of questionable lineage.
At some point, the guy demonstrated some techniques, thinking they would impress Ron. Then, with a testy smirk on his face, he asked Ron what was the difference between what he (the guy) had done and what Ron did and taught. Ron told him “Well, what we do is like real karate and what you’ve done is like… bullshit.” I think Ron then paired off with the guy and showed him where what he had been taught was inadequate. To his credit, the guy signed up with Ron.
While in Sacramento, Ron took a job as a bouncer at the area’s roughest nightclub. One night, a patron rushed up and told him someone was very sick in the bathroom. Ron went back to the men’s room to offer help. As he opened the door, a hard punch slammed into his face. The sucker punch rocked Ron back. But he quickly recovered and charged in after his assailant. It was a guy Ron had had to throw out on several occasions. He was drunk or high and very intent on hurting Ron and refused to let anything deter him.
A hellacious fight ensued. The guy was also a good sized person and when the two battled, they did serious damage and not just to each other. They knocked down stall doors and walls. Mirrors were broken. Commodes were overturned. Sinks were knocked off the walls. Water shot into the air and flowed ankle deep.
In the end, Ron neutralized the guy and drug him outside, where the police arrested him. But I doubt if Ron (or any of us who heard his story) ever approached a closed door as we had before.
I use Ron’s story to make sure my students know the cost of a lack of vigilance or defensive awareness. Before I open a door in a public place, enter an elevator, or walk around a blind corner, I remind myself of what may be waiting inside or just out of sight.
Ron was a great guy and karateka. I miss the big guy.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sorry Ron is no longer with us. I don't think I'll be walking around corners and opening the doors the same now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim - I know this post is 5 years old and it looks like the blog is roughly at least 3 years untended but through a very odd series of google searches and some extreme coincidence led me to this blog post. Ron McCausland was my dad, he passed away from pancreatic cancer when I was about 12 years old so I don't get to hear many stories about him other than what my mom knows so this was incredibly interesting for me to read. Thank you!

    I'm hoping to see if you have any more stories you wouldn't mind sharing and especially any pictures. I would love to see them!

    Thanks,
    Mike McCausland
    McCausland.Mike@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mike,my name is Tom Parks. I was a student of your father in 1975 when he taught in Auburn. I hadn't tried to look up people from that time in my life before. I was sorry to find out that he had passed. I would be honored to communicate with you and tell you about the impact that Ron had on my life.

      Delete