Saturday, August 17, 2013

Memories from an old photo of three great karateka

I posted a photo on my Facebook page (MatherKarateka) today and it reminded me of some great people I had met through karatedo. Below is the photo:

Right to Left: Asai Sensei, Kotaka Sensei, Mrs. Kotaka, Mrs. Mimoto, Mimoto Sensei, me.
 

It was shot at the AAU National Karate Championships in Wide World of Sports stadium at Disneyworld. I can’t remember the year. Asai Sensei was a special guest for the event. I was able to spend a bit of time with him. He had always been the mysterious one among the JKA instructors we saw in an early JKA training film. Everyone else was linear and explosive, their actions clearly full of power. Asai was different. He was agile and flexible, his techniques non-linear most of the time, reminding me more of the kung fu fighters I knew back then – Bruce, Al Dacascos, Brendan Lai, etc. – than the other JKA instructors. When I finally met him many years later, I found him to be a very quiet and gracious gentleman, who we have unfortunately lost since that time.

Also in the photo with me is Kotaka Sensei, the great karateka, whose son, George, is one of our great champions. Many of his students have gone on to represent the United States very successfully in international competition, and still do so. In the 90s, I was invited to his dojo while in Hawaii for his annual tournament. I was very impress with his approach to training and the quality of his students, across the board, regardless of age, gender, or rank.

Sitting next to me is Hitoshi Mimoto. He and I met for the first time in London. As I was a graduate student at Stanford University School of Education, one of the coaches for the USA Karate Team, and co-chair of the US Coaches Education Committee, Hanshi George Anderson invited me to accompany him to the formation meeting for the World Students Karate Union, under the auspices of JKF and WUKO/WKF. Sensei Mimoto was sent from JKF, along with Mr. Yamaoka, who represented WUKO/WKF. Sensei Mimoto was named President of the new group. Richard Thomas of Great Britain was named Secretary. And I was named Treasurer.

Foundation of World Students Karate Union.
London, England



Richard Thomas, Hitoshi Mimoto, and me in London.


I saw Mimoto Sensei several times after that at WUKO events and in the U.S. – at our USAKF nationals, at the AAU Nationals in Florida, and in LA, when I was asked to hastily put together a U.S. collegiate team for a goodwill competition against a strong collegiate team which Mimoto San brought to this country for another event.


Sensei Mimoto and I in LA for Goodwill Collegate Competition

The last time I saw him was in Okinawa for the Okinawan Karate & Kobudo World Tournament in 1997. As head of the JKF’s southern region, Okinawa fell within his area of oversight. It was, as always, great to see him again. He’s a wonderful man and great martial artist.

An interesting thing occurred during the finals. Mimoto San and his delegation were seated in a plush VIP section in the new Budokan. He saw me sitting in the stands and insisted I join him. After I was seated, he went to speak with someone. A U.S. instructor, originally from Japan (and known among insiders for his attitude and questionable versions of traditional kata), saw me and raced up the steps. He stopped beside me and said “You’re not supposed to be here!” Sensei Mimoto walked up and challenged him. “What do you want?” The instructor mumbled something about me sitting in the wrong place. Mimoto San told him brusquely that I was there at his invitation and it was no business of his. He quickly returned to his own seat.

Thanks for your patience. I will try to post more often.

1 comment: