Friday, September 14, 2012

Tsuken Akachu no Eku Kata and Learning to Better Appreciate Every Day


I apologize for my long absence in posting. It’s been an eventful six months, and not much of it in a good way. Since it is behind me now, I am returning to normal and don’t mind talking briefly about what happened and what I learned from it.

First, the good part, at least for me – although probably less interesting for you. I was able to finish an extensive rewrite of my novel, The Arrow Catcher. It is with my editor, awaiting her read-through and suggestions. I’m fortunate to have a great editor, Lynn Stegner. Lynn is not only an award-winning novelist but also a writing teacher at Stanford University (considered one of the two best writing programs in the country). And she is also the daughter-in-law of the late Wallace Stegner, who was one of America’s greatest writers.

The reason I had so much time to focus on my writing over these last few months was my two stays at the hospital.

I wasn’t sure if I would ever go home after my first stay. I developed an infection that spread throughout my body, a condition they call “sepsis”. It came out of nowhere. I was fine, then developed a fever. I drove to the dojo to teach and got sicker and sicker as I went. (I live 90 miles from the dojo.) By the time I arrived, I figured I’d teach the first class and then go home early, getting one of my senior students to cover my classes. I felt so bad I lay down on the office floor, thinking I might feel better if I rested a bit. But I kept getting sicker, my fever climbing and my kidneys aching. I realized that if I didn’t leave then, I might get so sick I wouldn’t be able to drive home later. So I left a note for my office manager and set out. By the time I got home, I was burning up and felt like someone had hit me in the kidneys with a baseball bat. I had been kicked so hard in the stomach many years ago that it bruised one of my kidneys. This was a hundred times worse. I called my doctor and he told me to go straight to the emergency room, which I did.

The emergency room staff ran some tests and told me I had an extremely bad infection, which they later identified as sepsis. They admitted me and put me on a strong antibiotics drip. I was there for 5 days before being released. Another infection hit me a few days later and another after that was treated.

I mention all this in more detail than I feel comfortable with, or you probably wanted to hear, for a reason. I teach Tsuken Akachu no Eku kata to my students. Within this kata is an unusual jump, reportedly unique to weapons kata. In it, you drop the eku handle, kick your feet backwards unevenly as you jump, and (while still in midair) reach out as far as you can with the blade of the eku.

I learned this kata many years ago and told it was called Tsuken Akachu no Eku Bo. It was explained as a battle between two fisherman, one with an eku (oar) and another with a fishing spear. The spearhead was made of metal, I was told, which would become rusty and encrusted with rotten fish guts over time. A cut from its tip would introduce bacteria into ones bloodstream. As this kata was reportedly created 150 years earlier, there were no antibiotics at the time. The person cut was believed to have approximately ten days before he went into septic shock and died.

So the odd jump had three purposes: 1) block the spear thrust at ones feet with the handle, 2) kicking the feet back to make sure they were not stabbed or even scratched, and 3) reaching out and smashing the attacker in the side of the neck with the blade of the eku.

I was never sure if their sepsis explanation was realistic until I found it could occur even today. Had I come down with what I did back then, I would have died.
They found that my infection was caused by an internal tear. (I won’t bore you with the details.) Surgically fixing it was what necessitated my second hospital stay. But that was completed in early June and I’m back to normal, or as normal as one can be at nearing 70. I now have nothing wrong that rolling back my age by ten years or so wouldn’t clear up completely. But I feel fortunate to be this healthy and fit at this age. I contribute it to my lifetime in the martial arts and my long quest to always keep myself in shape both physically and morally in order to serve as a positive role model for my students.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and continued support. It means a lot to me.

16 comments:

  1. Was hospitalized about eight years ago for sepsis. Doc tried aspirating my knee and the nurse didn't prep the site properly. Same length of stay too. Not the sickest I've been but close. Glad you're doing well now. Sepsis is nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Glad they caught yours as well. My wife had a friend who went into a septic coma and almost died before they discovered the cause and were able to beat it back. I assumed it was just something people developed in the old days, when they also called it "Blood Poisoning". Take care and thanks for sharing that with us, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear you are doing better. I look forward to reading The Arrow Catcher!

    Sincerely,

    Jay Haynes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're mending well, Hanshi. I enjoy reading your posts, especially your anecdotes about Hanshi Anderson, my teacher's teacher (I'm a student of Hanshi Carl Wilcox). Thank you for all you do and all you share.

    Sincerely
    Brian Hawk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jay and Brian. I appreciate your support and comments. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you are doing better. I was worried when you hadn't posted anything in a while. Thanks for the interesting take on Tsuken. I love learning about the original intent for katas. It helps me understand why I am doing something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered your blog earlier this year and have been reading it regularly. You always have something to teach or some insight that is enlightening even to an "old dog" like me. I am glad you are well again and look forward to your future posts.

    Taylor Hayden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Taylor! Great hearing from you after all these years! Hope you're healthy and doing well. Thank you for following my ramblings and for taking the time to say hello. I've met many martial artists during my 57 or 58 years in the martial arts who I haven't seen in years. Some I don't miss and my life is better for their absence. You were one of the ones I have missed, a great and wise man and a great martial artist. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve-O, thanks for your support. Hanshi Anderson was extremely knowledgeable about kata and talked of it often. My problem is remembering. As I do, I will pass it along to you guys. I think I heard the background for this kata from Hanshi Sid Campbell, an old, old friend from nearby Oakland, who we lost a couple of years ago. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jim,

    So glad you're feeling better. Wish you all the best of health in the coming days.

    Logan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mather Sensei,
    I'm sorry to hear of your bout with sepsis and I'm very glad to hear that you've made a full recovery.

    Best to you, Diane and the family,

    Rob Alvelais

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It means a lot. I hope you and your family are healthy and doing well. Thanks again, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hanshi, I'm a Karate student (Gosoku Ryu) in México. I found you on the web after a an acquaintance mentioned you. I regret to inform you that Shihan-Dai Ron Glaubitz, passed away of a sudden heart attack yesterday in his home. He was with 2 of his 7 children. Soke Kubota is being briefed as well. Kind Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, I was very encouraged to find this site. The reason being that this is such an informative post. I wanted to thank you for this informative read of the subject.
    Karate, Illinois

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for great inThanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you!!formation you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you!! Karate School in San Antonio
    Fitness Center in San Antonio

    ReplyDelete