Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hanshi Anderson's Patch


The above photo is of a patch given to me by Hanshi George Anderson many years ago, when he was 1st Vice President of WKF (previously WUKO) and member of the powerful WKF Executive Committee. It was one of his.
He handed it to me one day and I thanked him, then asked him what I was supposed to do with it. He said “Put it on your blazer.” I said that I couldn’t as I wasn't a member of the committee. He said “Put it on. If anybody questions you about it, tell them to come talk to me.”
I, of course, never put it on my blazer. And, as was his nature, he questioned me about it every time he saw me in my blue blazer from that point onward. I never figured out why he wanted me to wear it. I suspected it was to thumb his nose at someone but never discovered who that was. Life was never dull around him.
Me and Hanshi Anderson (right)
I apologize for my slowness over the last few months in putting up new posts. I’ve been swamped with a bunch of additional stuff, not to mention work on my novel – The Arrow Catcher. I recently acquired a great, new book editor who has made some astute recommendations which require a bunch of rewriting. I’m working my way through that as well right now. Thanks for your patience.

2 comments:

  1. I've been hoping you would write a book for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! I framed the picture of you with your arms crossed and then catching the arrow. Always get lots of comments and questions. I remember back when the dojo was on Blaney & Bollinger coming to class, the lights were turned down and then you were showing us how to block arrows. I remember a few brave (crazy to me) students who tried and ended up with some very purple brusies when they got hit by an arrow. If I didn't thank you that night for not making the attmepts mandatory I will now - THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it surprised me that none of them could do it. I figured Sadowski could, if anyone could. Didn't expect him to miss. Great having you back at the dojo.

    ReplyDelete