Sunday, April 15, 2012

What I know about karate and the Olympics - Part IV

One of the first martial arts books I ever read (and reread many times back then) was Nishiyama and Browns’, Karate: The Art of “Empty Hand” Fighting, which was published in 1959. I still have a copy in my extensive martial arts library. It was a great, elegantly published work for that time. In hindsight, it had little on kata and lacked a lot of the detail that would be included in later Shotokan books – one of my favorites being Sensei Nakayama’s Dynamic Karate, which I used to reread at least once each year to pick up technical details I had missed, forgot, or misinterpreted. (Two other memorable books I read and reread in the earliest days were Mas Oyama’s What is Karate? and George Mattson’s The Way of Karate.)
I only met Sensei Nishiyama on a couple of occasions. I never spoke personally with him as I was fortunate to do with several other Shotokan greats. So, I was never able to form any kind of direct insight into what kind of man he was or what drove him to do what he did.


Ron Marchini (right) ref-ed my match with Francisco Rameriz in the late '60s
I once asked old friend, oft-time mentor, and great karateka, Ron Marchini, about a particular martial artist, who he knew but I didn’t. “There are great martial artists and there are great guys. He’s a great guy.” There are also, of course, those who are great martial artists and great people. I’ve met a few of these along the way. But, unfortunately, I’ve met far more who were great martial artists but not very good people. (And I’ve met a bunch who were both bad martial artists and people.) I can’t say where Nishiyama would fall on all this. He obviously had great knowledge and technical skill. That can’t be denied. I just don’t know what kind of person he was.
Even when we lack direct knowledge about someone, we can often derive a fair amount of insight via indirect means – their behavior, the opinions of those who did know them, etc. (Juries often convict people accused of crimes based solely on such indirect or circumstantial evidence.) The fact that some very great American karateka trained under him for many years, knew him very well, and decided to leave him (including Frank Smith and Ray Dalke, arguably two of our all-time greatest), says a lot, in my opinion. I met Smith only once but knew Ray for many years and have great respect for him as a man of honor, a karateka, and a teacher. If they left him, a man they obviously greatly respected, then there had to be something very wrong. Neither of these men are the disloyal type. In fact, they were reportedly loyal for years under conditions most would not have tolerated for any time at all.
In the mid-70s, I was asked by the editor of Samurai Magazine to write an article for them. The magazine’s publishers (the money behind the publication) were two LA doctors, who I assumed were also Nishiyama students, as everyone knew Samurai was Nishiyama’s publication. At the time, I considered it the best martial arts publication on the market as it dealt only with traditional Japanese karate and traditions and was very professionally done.
I forget the timeline but at some point the magazine went rapidly downhill. I think the last copy I received was printed on a copier and hand stapled. I asked a friend who was highly placed in Nishiyama’s LA organization what happened. He told me that one of the doctors/publishers had died. When the surviving doctor informed Nishiyama, he reportedly responded, “Where will we get the other half of the money for the magazine?” There was no “I’m sorry to hear that,” or “That’s terrible,” or “My condolences to his family.” According to my friend, the surviving doctor told Nishiyama he had better worry about where he was going to get all of the money and pulled out. I don’t know if this is true or not, as I got it second-hand. But it came from what I considered a very reliable source and someone who was on Nishiyama’s side.
Alone this tells us little, as we don’t know the actual circumstances or even if it actually occurred. But, if true, it would seem to give credence to the general opinion that he was a man on a personal mission, who didn’t care who or what got hurt in the process, even karate.
There are many other stories out there. I’ll leave those for others, as I don’t know the truth of any of them. (Some of these are outlined in Jon Evans’ piece, mentioned in Part III.) I will be probably soon post an article, perhaps more, written and sent to me by Soke Patrick Hickey on the subject of karate and the Olympics. I also have copies of letters between the various parties – Delcourt and Nishiyama, et al. I will likely be posting them as well.
Thanks again for your support. I greatly appreciate it.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,

    Interesting thoughts. I recall some rumors back in the 70's re: this. Don't know if you've seen this interview with Frank Smith. Enjoy reading JM's Karate Life.

    Regards,

    Logan Young

    http://www.theshotokanway.com/aninterviewwithfranksmith.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Great article on Smith. Thanks for sharing it. Frank Smith was the top of the heap in what's been called the Golden Age of American Karate. Some great people had great respect for him. I have an interesting story about him at the '72 WUKO Team Selection Tournament at LA City College. Your article reminded me of it and I'll likely post it sometime soon. Again, thanks for your kind words the the great link. I've found many great articles on The Shotokan Way website. Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 70's I had a friend who trained with Mr. Nishiyama's at the Central Dojo (I was with Soke Kubota's IKA). We'd trade stories about which system was better, or who was the better sensei who could take you further, etc. One story he mentioned was about Sensei Frank Smith. He said FS got into a "road game" on the freeway one night. Both guys stopped on the side of the road, got out and approached each other. Don't recall exactly, but Frank front kicked the guy and who went down. But, oddly, the guy gets up again. Again, FS does another front kick, puts the guy down again. Guy gets up again, this time FS puts him down for good. Might have been combination face punch, kick. (don't recall exactly) Thought it was cool that neither used a gun to settle things.

      Delete
  3. Great story. As you likely remember, Smith wasn't famous for his control. I think he knocked all the front out of a Japanese fighter at the '68 "Goodwill" tournament. At the '72 team selection tournament, they instituted the first control test. Somehow Smith got past it. He was fighting one of his dojomates, if I remember right (but won't name him), and hit him hard in the face. The guy's knees buckled. Smith knew that if the guy went down, he would be disqualified and off the US team. So he grabbed him as he started down and kind of danced with him, holding him up, until he regained consciousness. Not sure what he said but he was whispering in the guy's ears the entire time. They penalized him for contact but he wasn't disqualified and advanced to the next round. Of course us old-timers loved it. He was one of the guys we all aspired to be like. The only time I saw John Gehlsen treat anyone defferentially was Smith. He had great respect for him, which said a lot. Take care and thanks for the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knocked all of the front teeth, it should have read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! Too funny man. Thanks for the chuckle.

    I remember a couple of similar stories at IKA re: Sensei John Gehlsen's kumite tactics in Japan prior to the tournament. If recollection is right, JG was sparring with an instructor from Japan. Heard that JG's tactic was to either hit the opponent in the nose to make him blink or maybe even hit him in the mouth get into the guy's head. Didn't work. ha

    Keep writing these stories Jim. Love reading them!

    ReplyDelete