Saturday, February 18, 2012

What do you do when you don’t know what to do?

Hanshi George Anderson

Several years ago, Hanshi George Anderson, head of the national governing body for karate under the U.S. Olympic Committee, visited my dojo to teach a weekend workshop. He opened it with a question.
“What do you do when you don’t know what to do?”
Students started throwing out suggestions. He rejected them one after the other. “No. No,” he said after a while. “Come on, every real martial artist knows this!”
A few more thoughtful answers were suggested by students, and all rejected.
“If the Queen of England were to walk in here right now, what would you do?”
Some suggested polite greetings. “How are you, Queen?” a young student offered. “Welcome, your majesty,” offered another.
“No,” said Hanshi Anderson. “You don’t talk to the queen unless she speaks to you first. Come on, what would you do?”
Everyone was afraid to venture another guess.
“You do what every good martial artist knows to do,” scolded Hanshi. “You stand at attention and keep your mouth shut!”
Why, one asked?
Well, what can you do when you’re standing still and not talking? You can better focus on what’s happening around you. If the queen had walked in, standing at attention and not talking would allow you to better monitor how she and her party reacted to various comments or actions. And you would likely figure out the right course of action.
In his book The Art of War, Sun Tzu listed several things that would increase a martial artist’s chances for success. One of these was dictating the time and place for the battle to occur. To achieve this, it is often best if your target isn’t aware of your intentions.
Use anger to throw them into disarray, use humility to make them haughty.
Tire them by flight, cause division among them.
Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they do not expect it.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness;
Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness;
Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate.
Sun Tzu, The Art of War – Thomas Cleary Translation
Although Hanshi Anderson felt the ability to remain still, quiet, and observant were qualities all good martial artists possess, we see far too many today who have no control whatsoever over their emotions or actions. I think the problem is tied to the difference between a fighter and a martial artist. Let me know what you think the difference is and I’ll discuss my thoughts on the matter and its connection to the subject of this post sometime soon.
Take care and thanks again for your readership and support.

14 comments:

  1. Osu!
    Shihan Howard J. Gelber
    Hachidan - 8° - U.S.A.G.A.®
    U.S.A.G.A.® G.H. # 011
    URBAN G.H. # 392
    Heian Bushi Dojo
    Director of A.A.G.I.K.A. / U.S.A.G.A.® Membership
    Southeast Regional Representative
    Florida Regional Headquarters
    www.usagojudokarate.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your support. One of the earliest books I read was Hanshi Urban's The Karate Dojo. It's still in my library. I also have an autographed copy of his later book. He was a brilliant man. Thanks again, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't help but laugh as I read this. I could almost hear Mr. Anderson. I remember him giving a lecture like that when I was in his classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, things were never boring when he was anywhere around. I had some great fun and very educational times. Miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent advice for program management as well... -Fred Lang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Master Anderson's advice helped me tremendously in my travels and business around Asia. Here they have strict rules on simple things like where to sit at dinner or when to start eating. Asian business negotiations follow a rhythm and flow designed to give one side an advantage. The advice of: "Stand still, shut up, and observe" has served me very well over the years. I also learned to speak Japanese, Chinese, a little Korean, and now Thai, so that I could understand my opponent (or customer / vendor) better during negotiations and business discussions. Also from SunZi's Art of War: Know your enemy and yourself, you will be undefeated in 100 battles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me as well. You may not be aware of this as you were out of the country, or may have missed my reference to it in earlier posts, but Hanshi Anderson died on August 6, 2009. I learned a lot from him. Take care, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow the news of Hanshi Anderson's passing on reached me even in Shanghai very soon after it was posted in the internet newspapers. I used to write my own regular blog (somehow deleted by WordPress) where I wrote a short tribute to him. He was a major inspiration. Shaun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your short tribute if that is possible.

      Delete
  9. i love reading other's memories and mentions of uncle george. since i never know what i'm about to read it's like getting to see him again for just a moment. it's like stumbling upon a treasure! thank you all. corinne housley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, I really enjoyed reading the blog, the comments and the mentions of my dad. I always love hearing the stories and memories of others. I was with my mom today and we went to visit dad's grave site. I just posted a couple pictures on my face book wall, anyone wanting to take a look is welcome too. God's blessings to you all!! Joany Anderson Aquila

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I had some great times with Hanshi and learned a tremendous amount. Thanks for sharing him with me.

      Delete
  10. You are welcome and thank you for sharing, it was excellent reading. Many, many blessings to you and yours!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely sounds like a lesson from Uncle George! He actually said something very similar to me once when we were at a concert in Akron-decades ago.

    ReplyDelete