Friday, January 20, 2012

Email from an old student

Sorry to take so long in posting another installment. I’ve started a few stories and have been unhappy with each as they are thus far. I will post them as they come together.
But something happened this week that I would like to pass on to you guys. I received the following email from a former student – someone who trained with me in the early ‘70s. I’ll replace his real name with “John Doe” as I haven’t gotten permission from him to post it. (He didn’t turn me down. I just decided to pass it along today and didn’t have time to ask.) His email to me is as follows:
“Dear Sensei Jim, I was one of your students many years ago - 1970-1974. I will always value your teaching. It was an honor to be your student, sir. (John Doe), Lieutenant Colonel, Special Forces, Retired”
I sent him a response, thanking him for remembering me and taking the time to contact me after all these years. I was so proud of him and honored that I may have been instrumental in assisting him in some small way achieve success and survive at such a dangerous and worthy undertaking that there were tears in my eyes as I wrote it.
Over the years, I have received several such messages and treasure them. One was from a student who had been suffering from a secret drug addiction while a student and claimed I had given him the strength to overcome it and become successful in life. Another was failing at school, one report card had all F’s, and credited me with motivating him, and giving him the self-discipline to raise it to all A’s within one school year. (Several had drug related issues that karate helped them defeat.)
Gichin Funakoshi said we must practice our techniques as if our very lives depended upon the effectiveness of every rep. And that has always been my goal, to practice as I wanted to be able to throw something in a real encounter.
But something this week’s email from my former student helped remind me was the need, as instructors, to teach as if our students’ lives depended upon how and what we teach them – as they well may. To name but a few, we need to teach them to throw their techniques with speed, power, penetration, and extension. We need to condition their bodies to throw and receive strong attacks. They need to learn effective tactics and strategies that will enable them to capitalize upon their strengths and prevent their opponents from capitalizing upon their weaknesses. They need to be made mentally strong enough to continue fighting even when injured, as most will be in a real fight. Knowing what to do in a fight and being able to do it are two separate and distinct skills. So it’s critical we teach them both what to do and take them through drills that better prepare them for responding spontaneously to attacks.
I used to say that students learn more with their eyes than their ears. So how we behave, the role models we become or fail to become, effects how our students will behave themselves. Our strength, our ethics, our morality, our work ethic will become theirs. So we must always be some worthy of emulation.
Enough for this time. Thanks again for reading.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Sorry about the previous delete. No ability to edit.)

    Good post. As an "old beginner", I have little value as a student. And at times I think my sensei doesn't give up on me because of the ghost of a previous student; one that he gave up on, and who ended up badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every student has great value Narda, no matter the age, no matter the condition. As long as they are a student, and strive to learn, they are beyond value to the teacher.

      Delete
  3. Every student is a tremendous gift to an instructor, or should be seen as such. They not only allow him to live his dream and help fund it. But what greater gift can someone give than their trust and loyalty? I am extremely lucky my students allow me to still serve a positive function at this age and feel loved and valued, when most of my age are put out to pasture and ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Hanshi Mather, from Bangkok. I am one of your former students from 1987 until 1994, earning Shodan in 1992. Thanks to you, this year I am celebrating 25 years of studying martial arts. Your teaching in karate, fighting, life, and general wisdom have helped me tremendously in my life. In 2000 I was fortunate enough to win the Kumite division at a Karate tournament in Japan. In 2003 I had a hip replacement surgery, but recovered quickly enough to test for and be awarded nidan in Shotokan in Japan. I have been a visiting Shotokan instructor in Japan, thanks to the fundamentals you taught me. Actually, speaking solely Japanese language for 3 hours at a time was more difficult than teaching karate. Since then, I moved to Shanghai China and studied Shaolin Kungfu every morning for 6 years. I have managed to win medals at 2 international Wushu tournaments in the last few years. Now I am in Bangkok and still studying martial arts every day. The strong foundation of knowledge and ability from your teaching has made all this possible. This has also made it possible for me to become an internationally recognized and successful engineer in my industry. Thank you very much. Your teaching is the type that continues for many years. - Former student: Shaun Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Shaun,

    Great hearing from you! I've often wondered what happened to you. One of the toughest things about teaching is that students are with you for many years and big parts of your life, then they disappear. Never hear from most. So really appreciate you reconnecting. When you moved to Utah, I was extremely impressed with how hard you worked to not just hang onto what you had learned but would come back after months and have improved tremendously due to your extreme work ethic. You told me you'd get up before sunbreak and practice your kata in an icy, Winter parking lot before work. Not many would do that even in warm comfort. So I'm not surprised you continued to study the MA and done well. I'm extremely proud of you, and aways were. Please stay in touch. Take good care of yourself, Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hanshi, I am flattered you remember me and my early morning workouts so well. I am still working out every morning no matter where I am. In Shanghai, if I am not at Zhongshan park at 7:30 AM - even Saturdays and Sundays - Master Pu Laoshi calls me on my mobile and yells at me to come quickly. The only thing stopping us is rain. Here in Bangkok, the local wushu people beat the heat by starting to work out in the park at 6:30 AM. I travel frequently around the world on business. Mornings are often the only time I have to keep fit. But it has led me to do sunrise kata in some great places: near the Imperial Palace in Japan, near Gichin Funakoshi's monument at Kamakura, in the shadow of the Great Wall above Beijing, on the shores of West Lake (XiHu) of Hangzhou China. My wife is happy because my obsession keeps me out of the bars late at night. Shaun

    ReplyDelete