Saturday, December 3, 2011

“When are you going to be promoted to 10th degree?” – Part IV


Hanshi George Anderson (right) and me at my dojo.


Hanshi George Anderson’s rise to prominence was due to several factors. He was very smart, extremely knowledgeable about karatedo and a broad range of subjects, and worked tirelessly. But he also had an astute understanding of the political forces at work within the karate world and how to work within that system to achieve great things. (He was probably the person most responsible for getting karate into the Pan Am Games.)

In the old days, most in the martial arts kept secret what they knew or had learned within their art or system. But that changed as the AAU, then the USAKF, brought together a large number of senior Japanese/Okinawan martial artists (a veritable who’s who in traditional karate). This opened the door to a huge sharing of information, giving members a tremendous opportunity to learn previously close-kept secrets from top instructors in all areas of karate.

Hanshi Anderson was responsible for a good deal of this. He convinced top Japanese and Okinawan instructors, the cream of the crop, to take high level positions within the organization and to share their great knowledge. These men, who had previously kept their teachings strictly to members of their own styles or organizations, now worked side-by-side with heads of other styles and organizations, even with people who had long been their sworn enemies.

What many members didn’t know was there were groups within groups. Basic information, including kihon, kata, tactics, and strategies, was taught to everyone. Higher level information was available to those at the middle dan grades and up. But the highest levels of knowledge were reserved for the senior-most group, the “Inner Circle”, as Hanshi Anderson called it. At that time, you had to be at 7th dan or higher to be considered for inclusion within this group. (Now, I think that has been raised to 8th dan.) Rank, however, wasn’t the only requirement. Very few of the Sokes, Hanshis, Shihans, Grandmasters, etc. that are now everywhere would have made the cut. It was by invitation only. And to be invited, you also had to be of sufficient proven quality. Unlike the case with the other two groups, most of the information transmitted within the Inner Circle occurred verbally over dinner or at private parties.

Many years ago, I had long-time friend, who was a high ranking, highly respected instructor and head of a major organization. He’s, unfortunately, no longer with us. We spoke one of the last times we were together about the subject of rank. He asked me if I knew the rank of his senior deshi. I assumed the man must have been at least 6th or 7th dan. He had been training and following this sensei for over 50 years. He was also very knowledgeable and highly skilled. When I told him I didn’t actually know, he told me that the deshi was 3rd dan, and said it proudly. My friend was far more knowledgeable than I will ever be. So it wasn’t my place to question this. But after my friend died, he hadn’t positioned anyone to take his place and, to my knowledge, the organization has essentially ceased to exist, or exists as a mere shadow of its former stature.

The feeling among the Inner Circle was as follows: If your own instructor and organization seems not to have reason to respect your knowledge and skill, then why should anyone else, as your own seniors surely know you far better. An organization must create legitimate seniors. And they must also be positioned properly so, should something happen to the head of a dojo or organization, the school or organization will have a better chance of surviving and making available its founder’s lifetime of knowledge to future generations.

My approach to education has always been to prepare myself in as broad a manner as possible, ensuring a maximum number of options would be open to me in the future. This meant preparing myself physically, mentally, educationally, socially, financially, ethically, and morally to better ensure no doors would be closed to me, pretty much regardless of what I wanted to pursue. Relative to the subject of this post, it meant making sure I attained sufficient rank and stature to have doors opened to me but without going too far beyond what might possibly be a realistic rank for someone with my experience, years in the arts, and accomplishments.

Just some food for thought. Take from it whatever, if anything, might be useful to you and disregard the rest. Thanks for your readership.

No comments:

Post a Comment