Tuesday, November 22, 2011

“When are you going to be promoted to 10th degree?” – Part III




My primary instructor, Soke Tak Kubota (right),
actor and karateka James Caan (center), and me.
 I’ve been talking about my many reasons for not wanting to be promoted to 10th dan, while so many seem obsessed with it. As I said, these are just my reasons for making this choice. Others are welcome to their own reasons for accepting or even seeking it. Let me add just a bit more to my personal choice before turning to a few legitimate reasons for working to earn a high dan grade.

The most respected world karate organizations, IMHO, all impose minimum time-in-grade (TIG) and age requirements for each dan promotion. I’ll just list the standard requirements for promotion beyond 5th dan. (Before this, minimum TIG is generally a number of years equal to the number of the dan grade one is trying to reach – 2 years for 2nd dan, 3 years for 3rd dan, etc.) For 6th dan, an applicant must be at least 35 years old and been at 5th dan for at least 5 years. For 7th dan, an applicant must be at least 42 years old and been at 6th dan for at least 6 years. For 8th dan, an applicant must be at least 50 years old and been at 7th dan for at least 8 years. For 9th dan, an applicant must be at least 60 years old and been at 8th dan for at least 9 years. And for 10th dan, an applicant must be at least 70 years old and been at 9th dan for at least 10 years. I’ll turn 69 this year. So I’m not there yet.

Also, the above is unaffected by the standard excuses we often hear. “I moved up faster than everyone else because I trained 12 hours per day, 7 days per week for a full year,” “I trained directly under Grandmaster Fred and learned secrets he’s shared with no one else but me,” or whatever. TIG and age requirements are minimums, meaning there can only be longer amounts of time, never lesser (with only one exception that I can think of).

The sole exception to the above is when someone has not tested in many years and reached minimum age. If, for example, a person was at 6th dan for 20 years, was 60 years old, and had never tested for 7th dan before, although he had obviously acquired great knowledge and skill. Such a person might be promoted to 7th dan and allowed to test for 8th dan in just another year or two.

If you add up all of the minimum TIG for promotion from 2nd through 10th dan, it’s a significant number of years – 54 years minimum. Anyone who moves upwards too slowly, or starts too late, will never make it legitimately to the upper dans. This is something students, instructors, and heads of organizations need to be aware.

I’m most certainly not suggesting people be moved up faster than they are qualified to do so. What I’m suggesting, rather, is that everyone needs to know what is required for promotion to their next grades. Then, it’s up to the student to keep focused on doing whatever is necessary to achieve it – work harder, work smarter, compete if necessary, gain officiating or coaching certification, travel to wherever additional information and skill can be acquired, train in supportive arts, read and view whatever they can buy or find that will expand and deepen their knowledge, and so on. For some, this will also mean honing their moral and ethical characters to help them become better people, someone their instructors or organizational heads would want to see move into leadership positions.

Let me cut this off for now. I’ll try, as promised, to present next time some positive, non-ego gratifying reasons for setting ones sights on reaching higher dans.

No comments:

Post a Comment