Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ball Peen Hammer Punches and Bull Whip Kicks

Continuing on my study in the early 60s with kenpo sensei Sam Brown.
Sensei Brown told us about “pinging”, a Hawaiian practice in which a martial artist punched an anvil so hard he made it ping. The goal was to “break the cap” of their middle knuckles. Then, when it healed up, the knuckle would be much rounder and larger.
According to Sensei Brown, when one “pinged” his knuckle in Hawaii (where he grew up), his enemies would see his swollen hand and know that he would soon have a formidable weapon at the end of his arm. So they would attack him on sight while he was still vulnerable. So the pinged person would lay low for a couple of weeks, until his hand had time to heal.
He told us that when done properly, your middle finger, post-pinging, would feel like a ratchet if moved up and down.
I don’t remember if he recommended we ping our hands or simply mentioned it. But at some point I decided to follow the tradition.
Lacking an anvil, I punched a concrete wall. Feeling no ratcheting, I punched it even harder. This time, my knuckle clicked as I moved my finger, like a ratchet.
My hand swelled up and turned purple. It stayed that way for awhile. But after it had healed, I was disappointed in it. Although my middle knuckle was larger, it was not as large as I had hoped. So, I did it again. The result this time was a much larger middle knuckle.
Sensei Brown also taught us to make a fist differently than anyone else I’ve encountered in my 55 years in the martial arts. His unique punch was formed by extending the index finger and locking it into position with his thumb. This rounded the back of his hand and separated the knuckles.
When combined with a nicely “pinged” hand, the enlarged middle knuckle protruded even further, allowing us to focus all of our force into that one knuckle, rather than the traditional two, greatly increasing the pounds per square inch (psi) of impact. This had the effect of hitting someone with a ball peen hammer. I’ve used it as a specialty punch ever since for attacking certain targets and used a standard flat fist or half fist to attack others. But it’s served me well through the years.



Sensei Brown also taught us a different and dangerous (to both us and our opponents) way of executing a front kick. The standard approach is to raise the knee, execute the kick, then wait for the foot to return before placing it back on the floor.
Between the start and the execution of the kick and between the kick and its return to the floor is what we call “dead time”. There’s two reasons for this name. One, it’s time in which nothing is going on. But second, if you allow much of it to exist in the execution of your techniques, you’ll soon be dead. So Sensei Brown’s approach removed much of the dead time, especially on the recovery phase.
We were taught to snap our knees upward and whip our kicks out, with lightening quickness and as little telegraphing and dead time as we could possibly muster. But instead of waiting for our foot to recover, we’d snap our knees downward while the kick was still in route to its target, forcing the kick to hit and immediately snap back to keep up with the knee action. The kick was executed much like one does to crack a bull whip. But the result was a hyperextension of our knees. And the practice negatively affected my knees.
Several years later, after I had completed my military service (and studied martial arts with others), I returned to San Jose and opened my first dojo. Someone asked Sensei Brown about me. He wasn’t happy about me opening a school even if it was on the opposite side of town, miles from his. He told them I wasn’t bad for a skinny haole with bad knees. Considering him and his history, I took it as a complement, even though he may not have meant it that way. (Fortunately, after learning to kick in a safer – but slower – method, my knees healed up. But I’ve kept that lightening quick snap kick in my arsenal and been times I’ve silently thanked him for it and the ball peen hammer punch.)

I’ve gotten feedback that most people prefer shorter posts. So I’ll try to keep them shorter. The good side of this approach is it gives me more time to remember more details, many stored away for 50 years and only seeing the light of day again because another detail opened them up for me.
Take care and thanks for reading.

ADDITION: The following was added after the above post originally appeared.

I received a very insightful email from someone who knows alot about such things and has asked he remain annonyous. But he pointed out something I failed to mention when I described what I called the Ball Peen Hammer punch. (I just made up that name - as I also did the Bull Whip Kick - for dramatic and more descriptive effect. No one ever called it that. It was just a description of the resulting effect when someone was hit with it.) He quite correctly noted that the index finger is not pressed down towards the palm but, rather across towards the middle knuckle. That's exactly what I do, and what I was taught. Thanks to him for the correction and a bunch of very interesting and educational information about the history and practices of Hawaiian kenpo, the many great martial artists who have come from the Islands over the years, and the many contributions they have made to our arts.

6 comments:

  1. Osu

    Gee.. that top picture looks alot like the Ryuto Ken ( Dragon head fist) that I needed to learn. Again, for me, I had to strike with the smaller pointy second knuckle of the mid finger, not the big knuckle. My thumb, and other fingers support the bent mid finger to handle the impact. There are no pictures on the internet that I can google up to show the difference between Naka Yubi Ippon Ken, and Ryuto Ken, and I shyly feel that I am not of a high enough level sufficient to give them proper due example. Perhaps these punches only look similar due to my inexperience.

    Osu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Osu Sensei, Please do not shorten your posts. I am loving reading what you write. You have such a friendly, informative, and engaging style of writing. I would be happy for your posts to be longer, not shorter.

    As for the Ball Peen hammer punch, it sounds similar to the Naka Yubi Ippon Ken ( Middle single finger punch) that I was required to learn. But with the technique that I am supposed to learn, it is the sharp point of the second knuckle of the middle finger that impacts, and not the big central middle knuckle.

    Do you think that one must "ping" their middle knuckle to be able to execute the Ball Peen hammer punch? I've noticed that my middle knuckle is larger than the others just naturally. Wouldn't it just take shifting my fist over to place it in the center of the strike to use it?

    Thank you for your weblog, I am really enjoying it, Sensei.

    Osu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again. I labeled it "ball peen hammer" because being able to hit with just one strong knuckle had the effect of being hit with a ball peen hammer. So, unless ones knuckles don't protrude sufficient, they would need to do something to change that, or be restricted to punching in a standard fashion. But I don't recommend "pinging" as a person can do sufficient damage without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hanshi, I don’t know how I missed this entry I am glad you reposted. I also do not understand why someone might say to keep them short. 1. With your years of training, years of living, your experiences are invaluable. 2. Life is so short, I would guess and maybe wrongly younger people. We have one master seriously ill and I nearly lost my original teacher a few years ago due to a medical mistake. 3. I would not be so presumptuous to tell a hanshi (teacher of teachers) what to do, ever. Maybe, hopefully it was a polite suggestion. I just wanted to state how it sounded.

    Ball Peen Hammer.

    I was taught tighten little finger and the rest will follow and the thumb over top, but a few years ago that technique or a variation of thumb over first two fingers gives a focused punch with two knuckles. I got accidently pinged by some mishandling and a resistant board on a two board break. Strike one, they moved and I left knuckle prints in the board, Strike two blew the backboard out, Strike three and I had a nasty looking knuckle. I do not recommended it either, but it makes for interesting stories.

    I know this is long and anyone can feel free to blast away, but I wanted to make sure I understood the technique involved in the kick. I have always been a low kicker, but always taught to re-chamber to 1. Block counter 2. Second strike 3. Get out of the way. Power like the punch should come from back leg and hips. I have been also focusing on centering and balance which has been keeping this old guy from injuries. My humble take. …. Karate according to Mikey.

    PS I would love to blog too, but afraid of being discouraged by lack of readership ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments. If you did do a blog, you'd have at least one reader, my friend. So much of the variance between styles comes, I think, from simply differences among different instructors relative to the levels of risk they are willing to accept in order to gain some advantage. We keep our back straight so as not to risk getting kicked in the throat, but at the cost of reduced reach. When I read Sensei Egami's book (Shotokai), he shows himself leaning far in. One instructor says, "You can't do that, you'll get kicked in the throat." He responds "I've never gotten kicked there but my added reach has allowed me to hit more people than you", etc. The upside of that style of kick is a fast kick and recovery. The downside is the kick lacks the penetration and defensive element that accompanies a flat, fully extended kick that knocks an opponent back to he can't hit you as quickly, etc. I embrace them all as just different offensive and defensive tools in my toolbox. Agree on the punch. The speed of the back leg, hips, and hara are essential to a powerful punch. At some point, I'll outline some of my thoughts on how best to develop a fast, powerful, penetrating punch. Thanks for sharing your insights. I always value them. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just FYI: The punch needs to be aligned vertically and horizontally so the middle knuckle and bones of the hand line up with the supporting bones of the lower and upper arm. One way to check your fist is to have someone hit your fist hard with the palm of their hand. When hit you should feel a jarring of the shoulder. If you don't feel it transmitted along the bones to the shoulder, the knuckle and wrist aren't lined up properly. I had to stand upright so they could get the shot and, as I was punching down, my wrist is slightly bent downwards. I would normally be in a stance, which would have allowed the punch to travel straight to his head. And I'd make sure the back of the hand and forearm are dead straight, like a board.

    ReplyDelete